Friday, February 3, 2012

"The End!" Yeah! (Message 21 of 21)

2 Sept 2011
TGIF y'all! 

August 29
 Finishing treatments at the beginning of a holiday weekend is probably dangerous, but I plan to take full advantage of the situation. Celebrations started yesterday!

After the final radiation dose, I was handed a "diploma!" So funny! And I was directed to ring the bell three times. Now THAT felt good. Wish I had brought a camera. When I got home there were champagne & flowers waiting for me. First toast at home, and then I brought the celebration to work. It was only fitting. Everyone at work has been so accommodating and generous this spring & summer, and it was the academic summer that provided the book ends for my post-surgery treatments. I wore a wig for almost the first time at graduation last spring and now, as classes are starting again, I have enough hair to lose the hats & scarves if I want to. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I still like to wear them. 

I hope you don't mind if I ask one more favor!   I haven't been able to participate in a triathlon since Ironman a year ago. My first "triathlon" of this season turned out to be a mudrun, which was fun and all of that, but it wasn't a triathlon! I am registered with my team for a huge party-of-the-decade triathlon at Lums Pond, DE on September 11. If you have any sway at ALL with the weather-gods, PLEASE put a word in. I really don't think it is too much to ask to be able to race ONCE with my team this summer ...  a triathlon, with the swim AND the bike AND the run all in there.  Thank you for petitioning!

Okay, so here's my last "what's next" update:

* Next Tue. - Dr. appt to get a referral to a medical ophthalmologist for a baseline eye exam to track potential changes during the five-year course of tamoxifen, which begins now. 

(September 11 - Diamondman sprint distance triathlon)

* Two weeks - Followup with radiation oncologist (skin check)

(Sept 24 - Make-A-Wish olympic distance triathlon, Bethany Beach, DE ... still looking for a room mate!)

* October - Followup with medical oncologist 

* December - Followup with surgeon

And that's IT!  I'm done! 

I believe this is the 20th message I've sent since all of this began the first of March. While the mailing list grew some as time went on, most of you have been there talking me down, through & around it all for the entire six months.  I am so blessed to have so many generous people on my side. I hope you never have to slog through something like this, but if you do I will be there the whole way, you can count on it.

Love,
Diane

† Call me if you ever need a recommendation for a doctor of any sort. It's possible I will have met with one this year!

2 comments:

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

Diane said...

Hi Cameron,
I don't see any info in your blogger profile, but I would be happy to email you if you send me your address.
Diane