Friday, February 3, 2012

What will YOU be doing 10 years from now? (Message 7 of 21)

26 Mar 2011
You guys have given me lots of great company and stuff to eat & read & research -- keeping me very well occupied -- while I waited for the test results from the lab in CA. THANKS!!  The results arrived early!

These results give me enough info (as interpreted by my oncologist, John Devlin) to be able to weigh the pros & cons of having chemotherapy before the radiation therapy and hormone therapy that would follow. Dr. Devlin answered all of my questions and surprised me a couple of times with facts that I was completely unaware of. In the end it looks like I will be going the whole nine yards with this... As Phran says, I'll be killing a nasty, diseased fly with a Howitzer! Why would I do that, right? Well, because it's possible I could miss if I only use a fly swatter, and unlike with flies, you only get to take aim one time and then sit back and see if you got it. This is my chance to do whatever I can.

My Oncotype test says there is a 90% chance I WON'T HAVE an incurable recurrence in 10 years without any chemotherapy. Those are GREAT ODDS!  But, that's a 10% chance I *could* have that recurrence. With chemo that chance is cut in half... 5%. There are never any guarantees, but I think that if there were a recurrence and I hadn't done the chemo, I would wonder why not. What good reason do I have to take the chance?

I like the Howitzer analogy Phran gave me. In my doctor's estimation, someone in my physical condition, with no health issues, could withstand the Howitzer rampage. "You would tolerate this VERY well," he said. For him, someone who works with this stuff every day, it's a no-brainer. Why *wouldn't* I want to poison my body for a few weeks in order to have the best possible chances at a longer, healthier future? Well, let's see... maybe because I am worried about any long-term health issues that could come of this... you know the risk:benefit ratio? He tried his best to assure me that all of the health problems are short-term and that no lasting issues will come from either of the drugs in the TC cocktail he is recommending. According to him, I would have to be on chemo for a couple of years to start seeing pulmonary or cardiac issues. Still.  You know I've been eating as much organic, mostly vegetarian food as possible for years, My only refillable Rx is naproxin and I am loathe to take meds prophylactically. So, I sort of need to be convinced that chemo isn't toxic in a long-term way.

So, I will get a second opinion from a doctor at Penn, recommended (independently) by Dr. Devlin and a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend oncologist from Sloan Kettering who has written about the over-treatment of women with early stage breast cancer.  In the mean time I will be scheduling my first chemo treatment, which I can cancel if this other opinion convinces me otherwise. There will be four treatments, 28 days apart, for a total of 12 weeks.

So here's what's up next:

Monday: Scheduling appointments for second opinion & chemotherapy
April 18: Boston Marathon
April 20: First chemo treatment (tentative)

Thanks for all of your input, thoughts, jokes, stories and especially your company and your caring. I've been asked several times if I would like information on a local support group. So far, I really haven't felt the need.

Love,
Diane

No comments: