Friday, February 3, 2012

Quick Update! (Message 9 of 21)


11 April 2011
W/ Marianne & her daughter, Lindsay running the
Caesar Rodney half-marathon, March 27
One week to go . . . until the Boston Marathon, then right after that, my first chemotherapy treatment. Yesterday I went for a bike ride with someone who is going through chemo and she was a total inspiration to me. She also validated my inability to sleep well at night as being typical of pre-chemo jitters. (I did manage a full night's sleep Saturday night! Wow, what a difference that makes!) She said as soon as treatment begins, I'll be able to sleep again. I can only hope! One good night here & there is better than nothing, but I've never been good at sleep deprivation, just ask my kids!

This week's "training" is all about getting a lot of rest & eating smart... the hardest week of training because I'm supposed to do very little in the way of running. The idea is to be a well-rested, well nourished bundle of energy at the starting line!  

I had the bone scan on Friday, which was time consuming but painless. Much more pleasant than an MRI. I napped while listening to my iPod! The device is called a Gamma Camera and, at my request (after signing some release forms) I came away with a CD with jpg images of my skeleton to enlarge and print for the windows at Halloween! Unfortunately, I have to wait a week for those results. I am told there is very little chance there is anything amiss in the bones, but that's what they said about there being a positive lymph node, too, so my optimism has just a faint edge to it.

I am very excited for Boston! Thanks for all of the good wishes! If you want to see how I am doing (or did, after the fact) you can go here and look for me by name or bib number 19416. Or, if you're really into it, you can register for the  Athlete Alert by texting RUNNER to 345678. On race day, you will receive an alert when I pass the 10K, half-marathon and 30K marks and then when I finish. To sign up, or for more information,  go here.  

And because chemo starts the day after I get back (April 20th) -- and Easter break at the Catholic college where I work  is right after that -- after Friday I won't be back at work for a week & a half! Not that I prefer chemotherapy to work, but if ya gotta start chemo, might as well have some time off!  

Enjoy the beautiful weather!
Love,
Diane

No comments: