Friday, February 3, 2012

Put Down that Razor! (Message 14 of 21)

6 May 2011
Good morning,

Dr. Mintzer told me to expect to bid my hair farewell temporarily about two weeks after my first treatment. Like clockwork, yesterday -- 15 days in -- the shower drain was clogged with the stuff. As short as it is, I have a lot of it, so I expect to be shedding for a couple more days before it's all gone.

I have already had a few queries about whether Dave, Robin & Eben are planning to shave their heads, too. Phran's imagery was "the four croquet balls!" Others have suggested that they might also go hairless in solidarity. To this I feel I must weigh in, because I do feel somewhat strongly about it.

I love that some are wanting to support me this way. But you see, I LIKE HAIR. I didn't want to lose mine. I don't want my treatment to cause anyone else to lose theirs!! Very few people can be hot and bald at the same time, and they wisely choose to be bald. You go, Vince & Lenny! For the rest of us, I instead challenge you to GROW your hair the entire time I am in treatment, until mine starts growing again (sometime in late July I suspect), and then if you want to, cut it off and donate it to Locks of Love.

If you choose to do nothing at all with your hair, please know that you have already done so much for me in the years we've known each other, and especially in these past couple of months. Your friendship, love and support has been more than I could have ever asked for or even imagined. I already have plenty of evidence that you are here for me.

With much love,
Diane

No comments: